It is formidable to find a pet easier than a Guinea pig. Guinea pigs (also called cavies or piggies) are listed among a many renouned domicile pets only behind dogs, cats, and rabbits. Guinea pigs are not unequivocally pigs – they are members of a rodent family. The conspicuous “cavy” indeed resembles a cute, cuddly teddy bear rather than a rat, mouse, and hamster cousins.
People have enjoyed a fraternisation of a Guinea pig for hundreds of years. The friendly, docile, sexual inlet of cavies seals their popularity. Guinea pigs make glorious “first” pets for children. Relatively inexpensive to squeeze and nurture, their entertaining, dainty personalities, palliate of care, and cuddle means interest to owners during any age.
A pet piggy needs certain simple reserve for a healthy life.
- Proper food
- Food/Water Containers – Guinea pigs like to nibble and fragment anything possible.
- Hideaway hut
- Chew sticks
- Pet carrier
- Appropriate Guinea pig Cage/habitat
A HOME OF MY OWN
Guinea pigs need a safe, gentle habitat. They are amicable animals. It is one reason they make superb pets. They flower best in groups of dual or more. It is critical to make certain a span of cavies is a same sex or males combined in a organisation are neutered. Male Guinea pigs live good with other males providing they are introduced during an early age, there are no females in a mix, and they have plenty room to explain territory.
As amicable creatures it would seem reasonable a Guinea pig could share a vital space with another rodent, or other tiny pets like a rabbit. As a ubiquitous rule, Guinea pigs do not coexist good with other animals. The cooperative cavy is mostly a aim of some-more assertive pets. Dogs and cats typically see a Guinea pig as prey. Some pets like gerbils or hamsters can lift infections that broadcast to a Guinea pig. Rabbits, even dwarf rabbits are bigger and stronger than a tiny cavy and can means poignant damage to a weaker Guinea pig.
The best approach to strengthen your Guinea pig is investing by in a good, quality, protected cage. All pet habitats are not combined equal. Cavies have special needs that other tiny animals might not require. A good Guinea pig enclosing should have a following features.
- Ventilation – Solid glass, plastic, or plexiglass enclosures are not endorsed for Guinea pigs. To yield adequate movement handle cages are a elite cavy enclosures. Make certain a wires a tighten adequate to forestall escape.
- Temperature Control – Guinea pigs flower in temperatures of about 80° F. Cavies do not endure approach sunlight. Avoid extreme heat changes and drafts.
- Bigger is Best – An adult cavy can import adult to 3 pounds. Closed containers are endorsed to strengthen your cavy from other animals (cavies do not jump). It is critical to consider about providing adequate room for exercise. A suitable enclosing to residence one Guinea pig should magnitude 3.5-square feet. The altogether room should boost with any additional piggy combined to a group. The bigger a home-the happier a pet. True piggy-enthusiasts have dedicated whole bedrooms in their home to their favorite bushy creatures!
- Sanitation – To safeguard a healthy sourroundings for a Guinea pig, as good as a tellurian residents, progressing a spotless medium is essential. Many rodent cages are done with handle flooring that allows rubbish to dump by a grid into a removable rubbish pan. While good in speculation handle filigree does not work good on a Guinea pigs supportive feet. Choose a solid, removable, washable, building for a enclosure. Clean and purify a enclosing and reinstate bedding during slightest once a week.
- Bedding – Guinea pigs adore to hovel and dig. The best bedding is shredded paper and timber shavings. Do not use cedar formed wood. Piggies will “mark” their domain including bedding. It becomes contaminated fast and should be altered often. Cages should yield for a gentle sleeping environment.
To establish a best enclosing for your piggy pet(s) review on.
THREE GREAT GUINEA PIG CAGES
These good Guinea pig cages were ranked according to value, durability, expandability, and consumer compensation (5-star=excellent to 1-star=poor).
LIVING WORLD DELUXE HABITAT
4.6 out of 5 stars from 3,104 patron reviews.
The Living World Deluxe Habitat, “Provides all we need for safely housing a tiny pet.” The hybrid enclosing facilities a handle tip support and plain cosmetic base. The enclosing measures 37.8”l x 22.4”w x 22”h. A side doorway provides entrance and a whole hinged tip opens for communication and easy cleaning. Included with squeeze is a hideaway, balcony, and a tip-proof food dish. The Living World Deluxe Habitat is a good choice and accessible in an extra-large distance for additional piggies.
PROS – “This is a bestest enclosing ever!”
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to clean
- Lots of extras
CONS “Flimsy parts.”
- Not expandable
- Not easy to move
- Gaps between parts
- Quality of materials
MIDWEST GUINEA PIG HABITAT CAGE PLUS
4.1 out of 5 stars from 1766 patron reviews.
The Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Cage Plus is designed to be interactive and expandable. The enclosing facilities 8-square feet (36”l x 25”w x 38 ½” h) of vital space for pet practice and altogether health. The modular pattern allows for “unlimited expansions.” Multiple tip openings and, handle sides yield confidence and easy access. A PVC-lined cavass bottom offers traction, and a element is easy on a cavy’s supportive feet. Hinged ramps and dividers apart play and caring areas. Mounted on rolling casters for easy maneuvering, a Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Cage Plus is easy to maintain, entirely washable, and leak-proof. The enclosing folds for ride or storage and requires no collection for assembly. Included with squeeze 1- ramp, 1-perch, and 1-dish.
PRO “Price is value a time we save cleaning it.”
- Fun, easy to accessorize
- Easy to clean
- Easy assembly
CON “Poorly Manufactured.”
- Manufacturing glitches
PREVUE PET SMALL ANIMAL HOME ON STAND
4 out of 5 stars, 233 Customer reviews
Prevue’s Pet Small Animal Home on Stand is among a many renouned Guinea pig cages. The enclosing measures 33 ½l x 20 ½w x 33”h this enclosing comes versed with a ramp and platform. The handle bars provides for easy regard and interaction. A removable wobble filigree griddle covers a 6 ¼” deep, cosmetic waste tray that simplifies cleaning. A side doorway provides discerning entrance and a vast tip doorway opens a whole enclosing for playtime, cleaning, and feeding. The tubular steel structure sits on drum casters make relocating from room to room or inside/outside a zephyr AND for a fashionista cavy; a Prevue Animal Home on Stand is accessible in a accumulation of colors.
PROS – “I am blissful we purchased this [Guinea pig] cage.”
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to strech inside enclosing from side or top
- Easy to clean
- Easy to move
CONS – “Doesn’t assistance one bit with disaster control.”
- Wire building – contingency use a ship for safety
- Not expandable
- Quality of material
The lifespan of a Guinea pig is about 8 years. Providing a healthy sourroundings will supplement to a complacency and contentment of your pet piggy. For some-more information about caring for pet Guinea pigs, check out the Guinea Pig Care Guide.